Monday, August 9, 2010

The Good Stuff

It’s nearing midnight on a Sunday night, and the house is quiet except for the snoring of Husband Fixture and Couch Hound. I’m surfing the web, and reflecting on our busy week.


The Prince of Distraction and his friend attended Math and Science camp at Husband Fixture’s employer. As hubby leaves for work at the ass crack of dawn, Prince of Distraction’s friend stayed with us for the week. This left me alone with Princess Gingersnap all week. I had hoped to do some fun things with her, but as she refused to keep her room clean, most of our days were spent with me yelling at her to do so or running errands. Oh, and let’s not forget the nights spent sitting at cheerleading practice. (The Prince opted out of youth football this year, much to our relief).


But I did enjoy some girl time this week. I went to my pole dancing class; got to visit with a girlfriend I hadn’t seen in eons; went to the nail salon (I was a week overdue for one of my few feminine indulgences); and hosted an impromptu girl’s night--sort of, on Friday. I say, “sort of,” because we had the kids with us while our menfolk were off playing poker. We ended up playing Progressive Gin while kicking kids out of the room like flippers on a pinball machine.


Husband Fixture and I also attended an adult novelty product party/birthday party last night. It was quite the entertaining event. ‘Nuff said.


And today, we invited yet another friend and her kids over. She was at her wit’s end because her husband is away at drill (he’s in the army reserves) and she’s had her hands more than full with their four kids. Our kids got to play with their friends, and she got to talk to grown ups.


I can’t help remembering the days when the Husband Fixture and I were first married. We were broke, worked opposing shifts at jobs we hated, and rarely saw each other. We had no friends and no lives outside of our little rented hovel. Now we are blessed with two beautiful, healthy children, jobs that fulfill us, an adorable puppy, and plenty of good friends.


Life is good.

1 comment:

  1. You know, I know this sounds like a big cliche, but sometimes is really *does* take seeing those around us who aren't as lucky to realize just how good we have it.

    ReplyDelete